Sunday, April 29, 2007

Yale University Art Museum

Saturday April 28th was a windy, yet beautiful spring day. I went to the Yale University Art Museum. I found the museum pretty easy, too bad I couldn’t say the same thing about a parking spot. :) When I finally did get a parking it was actually right in the front. There were lots of college students up and down the area and I really liked the feel of the atmosphere. When I walked in the museum I wasn’t really blown away upon my entrance as I have been in my previous museum visits. There were many people scattered around the museum. Some waiting to be helped at the front desk, some people were on tours and some studying and drawing certain pieces, while others just enjoyed the Art. I just proceeded on to see what the museum had to offer and as I took a left and walked into the foyer that held the the first thing I saw was what looked like a pile of red sponges. I remember thinking to myself “what the hec is this suppose to be?” although I thought it was somewhat interesting, I wasn’t fascinated. I slowly strolled the first floor waiting for something to jump out at me that really caught my attention but as I contuned on the first floor nothing really did. I actually remember feeling a little disappointed because I assumed the rest of the museum was going to be the same.

As I continnued I than ran into a small polychrome sculpture of Virgin and child that was secured in a case. The Virgin held her child on her hip as he held a bird. When I looked at the child I got a little spooked because his eyes looked a little demonic. I guess that is because the artist didn’t paint eyeballs on them. The sculpture was painted in a glittery blue and gold trimming that defined the accents and details in her robe as well as her crown. I liked this piece because the Virgin and Child is a great symbol of my religon and reminded me of similar peices my parents still own.

American Paintings and Sculptures

I really enjoyed the bronze statue by Auguste Rodin of “The Thinker” I was wondering what could he possibly be thinking of that had him so deep In thought? I wonder is someone actually had to pose for this piece? I was deeply admiring how detailed every single muscle in his body was formed down to the crease on his back. I was actually admiring it’s detail so much my boyfriend had to remind me it was just a statue. ;)


This Oil on canvas painting by Edwin Austin Abbey (American, 1852–1911 Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and the Lady Anne, 1896 caught my attention because the artist did a great job at making everyone else in the picture disappear even though there is so much going in. Anne and Richard of Gloucester is the centerpiece of the painting her face looks beautiful and his red robe makes him pop right out of the picture.








It was not until I saw this magnificent marble sculpture called the The Wept of the Wish-ton-Wish," that I was totally intrigued. This sculpture was amazing this was a life size sculpture that was carved in marble in 1854. This sculpture was of an indian woman and her costume had magnificent detail from the stitching on her blanket to the shell bandana she had on her head. I recall staring at the blanket she has around her with a deep stare because I was truly unsure if it was a real blanket around her or if it was part of the sculpture. Her posed seemed as if she was shy and as if she was looking away. One hand held her blanket and the other gently placed under her chin. Her hair draped on her back and her shoes were definatlet something I would wear today.






Just when I thought I saw the highligt of my trip to the museum, I stumble on an AMAZING sculpture by Chauncey Bradley Ives (American, 1810–1894) of Undine Rising from the Waters. Undine was the heroine of a popular French nineteenth-century romantic novel in which a mermaid princess forsakes the carefree life of a water-spirit to gain a soul by marrying the mortal knight she loves. When her husband proves unfaithful, Undine is forced by the laws of the water-spirits to kill him. Ives depicts the moment when the mournful Undine, cloaked in a white veil, rises like a fountain from the castle's wellspring to claim her husband's life. The exquisitely carved wet drapery is one of the most notable American examples of see-through illusionism popular in mid-nineteenth-century sculpture. (Yale Museum website)


I must say that the sculpture of Undine Rising from the waters blew my mind. This was the best and most skillful sculpture I have ever laid my eyes on. The carvings and the folds of the gown and the veil she holds above her head made this sculpture seem so life like. Since undie was rising from the water there were Tiny jets of water on the pedestal at her feet. I’m pretty sure she was happy with her body and how the dress draped so fitting on her body. What blew me away even more was the see-through illusion from behind. I’ve never seen anything like it. These photos do no justice for the beauty of this sculpture. This is one piece I would love to own.
By the end of my visit to the musem my thoughts were totally different than the ones I initally had when I first walked in. There were so many othere peices that I enjoyed and since I can't talk about each and every one I will share some photos. Overall I really enjoyed the Yale Museum and I'm so glad that I went.

5 Comments:

Blogger Charmaine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Charmaine said...

Hey Yiovannie
for the life of me I can't remember what the children sleeping were call but I loved this sculpture when I went to this museum. There was had alot of heart put into this sculpture. I took alot of closeup picture of that sculpture. You did a good job capturing all the graphics of your sculptures.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Yiovannie said...

The interesting part about the sleeping children sculpture is that I thought it was the cutest thing and could not imagine anything negative associated with it. However, in those times sleeping children represented death.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Undine is a technical tour de force and I'm so glad you conveyed your appreciation for it....

The Reinhart sleeping children were created as a grave marker actually and it is a beautiful, lovely piece of marble.... Death was perceived differently in his time and his romantic expression still has resonance today....

Nice photos too!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yiovannie you did a great job with choosing the pictures down to the details of describing them

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home