Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Martin Luther Kings Historical Site

On Friday April 5th I was in Atlanta with some friends attending a wedding and I thought it was a good opportunity to get my paper done so I decided to find a museum in the area. Although my friends really preferred to be shopping they were good sports and we GPS some museums and attractions and decided to go to the Martin Luther King historical site because we thought it would be something that we would all enjoy.




As we were trying to find the museum we got a little lost but thanks the GPS System we started seeing signs and we were starting to get excited because we have heard so many good things about the museum from the locals.





Once we arrived to the center we parked and got out of the car, it was unusually cold in Atlanta so we were hoping that the exhibits were not outside since it’s usually hot out there. As we walked towards the entrance of the building on the way were a few signs and once I looked at this particular picture it dawned on me that we were actually at the museum where Martin Luther King, Jr. was born, worked, raised, went to church, and is buried. It suddenly became surreal that I was actually there.
On our way in the building we saw a statue of Ghandi. This statue was great because it stood very tall and the details on it from the eyes to the creases on his robe made it look so real as if it was a giant coming towards me.

When I finally entered the building I saw a guard sitting in a desk at the entrance and I quickly went in my purse prepared to pay a fee. I was delighted was told there was no cost to see anything. :) I asked if I could take pictures and they said absolutely. I quickly pulled out my camera and started walking towards the exhibits. I was blown away at how the museum did a wonderful attributing to his life. This place was built near where it grew up and the surrounding neighborhoods are just as they were during the civil rights movement.
I immediately noticed all the exhibits were behind a glass and there were tv's and speakers all around the room showing clips of the times of the civil rights movement. There were younger kids there and they were eager and paying special attention as they toured the sites with their families. You could see other people experiencing those historical moments of what Martin Luther King did in order to better our lives today. It was awesome.

This picture of black men getting hosed by the fireman was disturbing to me and I remember staring at it and getting a little angered.











This picture caught my attention, it was so powerful as I looked at the picture I saw how strong the civil rights movement was and how the black people stuck together. It was empowering as a woman and minority to see Coretta Scott-King in the front-line with some shades standing by her husband looking fearless. I felt proud for a moment. lol







I later encountered statues of people doing what seemed to be walking at an exhibit called freedom road, I was really curious as to what it was all about. I quickly looked for a description and I read it and found that Freedom Road represents actual people marching in the civil right movements and marches marching towards DR Kings Grave site. It made me feel like I just wanted to go and march with them.
Being there made me reflect on the fact that there was so many other people contributed to the Civil Rights movement and than Just Martin Luther King and that there was so much that I didn’t know.
This Picture was the most interesting to me was the old wagon that had carried Dr. King's casket in his funeral. It captured the impact of his legacy. There was so much history it almost brought tears to my eyes.

the expereience was most moving listening to some of the music and a recordings of his sermons. They have the world’s largest collection of materials on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the American Civil Rights Movement. There significant records which document the social, cultural, economic, and political impact of the civil rights movement.
The experience is very moving and you will definitely learn a lot about our past civil rights struggles. Would you like to experience it too? http://www.thekingcenter.org/

Due to time constraints I was only able to qucikly visit his gravesite where he is actually buried. It was an honor and surreal experience. I could not believe I was at his actual gravesite and not just a memorial. The grave is above-ground so it was kind of weird to think he was in there you were not allowed to talk around it. I was so humbled to be there.
Unfortunaltey I was unable to check out his church and the home he grew up in but I am definatley going back. You can take a virtual tour here www.nps.gov/archive/malu/BirthHomeTour/
Since the musem expereice was uplanned I was limted on time but I must say that it was the highlight of my trip and I thoroughly enjoyed this very humbling learning experience. My friends and I learned so much during this site visit and the staff was pleasant and helpful, as well as very knowledgeable.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Thanks Yiovannie I didn't know that there was a museum just for Martin Luther King. Now when I go visit that area I have something to look forward to.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Although not about art, I believe you had a valuable experience in making the visit to the MLK center. There are some wonderful art museums in Atlanta including the High Museum. I appreciate that you write well in your own voice and have kept your narrative honest and real.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Oh good...! On my first visit to your post, the photos were not visible... this time they are... Nice job with them!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Charmaine said...

Hey Yiovannie,

I went to this museum many years ago. I am glad to see that you had a wonderful time.

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home