Monday, April 23, 2007

New Britain Museum of American Art

April 21st was one of the first beautiful days out and I finally was able to get away from the books anticipating graduation next month. I finally took the time and went to the New Britain Museum of American Art. I just moved to New Britain so I had no idea where the museum was. As I started driving to the museum, I was amazed at how close to my home it was. When I pulled up in front of the museum, The architecture of the building seemed so modern. I thought this museum was going to be different than some of the other museum I have visited so far. When I walked in I encountered two women who immediately welcomed me and put a sticker on me that said "Where Art Meets Life" . They were very nice and very helpful in explaining where things are. She than handed me at few pieces of paper and I continued with my visit. The inside was fairly impressive.

I started walking around and I wasn’t to interested in many of the pieces on the first floor besides a few such as this oil painting of by Elizabeth Nourse “Head of an Nigerian”. This piece stood out because it was the only painting of an African so I was very interested in finding out who this African Male was that had his hand on his hip, standing so self-assured and strong Holding a cigar in the other hand. I thought to myself he must have been a very important person. He was a nigerian prince. The bright red belt and white hood on his attire made this painting pop out. The painting was smooth, glassy look.

When I walked up to the stairs I entered the California in Connecticut room this was the first piece that caught my attention. I recall getting a big smile on my face when I first looked at it. I thought it was kind of humorous. When I got closer I noticed the little fairy sneaking a peek under the males robe. I thought it was hilarious. It wasn’t until I looked at it a few more seconds that I noticed it was an angel and the devil. It was a depiction of venus and Adonis depicted as children. I believe this may have been an oil painting because the texture was glossy, it almost looked wet.


There were many others paintings in that section I enjoyed becasue they seemed more modern and more like things I can relate to. The picture of the below actually looks just like my sister which was very funny when we stumbled upon it.


When I looked to my left there was this huge painting which later I found it was 8 x 18-feet. This could be why this Painting quickly caught my attention to the point I practically ran over to take a closer look at what it could be.

I could not see what the artist saw. I was lost and did not know what to make of it. It was very difficult although even though it was somewhat evident of what it was about as you see the smoke and dust in the sky and the towers falling in the background. The pigmentation of the people made them look so real. I just kept wondering why everyone was naked? Although I couldn’t understand it right away I was still moved by it. The interpretation was a very difficult one but I still think the painting itself was very powerful if you are able to open your mind and appreciate the way other’s view things. . It was bright paid special attention to every little detail. The artist had to have an extremely creative imigation to depict this tragedy in such a way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home